Thursday 9 February 2023

Going forward: 2023!

This year has started with a potential deviation in my inquiry direction! After talking with Angela Moala, Clarelle Carruthers and Danni Stone, we asked ourselves how we are currently extending our children who are strong in mathematics. I currently run the school extension programme however this is more heavily literacy weighted than maths. We wondered whether we could begin an extension maths programme for some of our children. Back when I was a Manaiakalani Innovative Teachers, we collaboratively worked through the initial inquiry direction brainstorm. One element of this was to begin an inquiry by thinking 'pie in the sky' - as big as you can! Even if you think it is impossible! I considered this:

What if, during my CoL release time each week, I took an extension maths class of year 3 and 4 students?

Pros:

  • Great use of my time to benefit the children and the school.
  • Allows time to really extend these children who are strong in mathematics.
  • Once a week, allows time for the classroom teachers to teach to the needs of the other children in their class while I can extend a smaller group.
What would it look like?
  • 1x 45 minute session each week
  • Either number-based, strand-based OR project-based (integration of both)
  • Utilise DMIC values/strategies/structure of a lesson
  • Extending the children beyond what they already know
Why Year 3 & 4 children?
  • These children are not out of class for any other groups so they won't be losing valuable class time - in fact, it will be benefiting everyone involved.
  • These children are down the same corridor as me this year so it could be look at as an extension of their classroom - easy to manage transitions on this day.
  • Lots to still extend these children in number knowledge to support their success in project-based learning experiences. 
  • Preparation for going into Year 5 to 8.
There is obviously still a lot to think through if this is to be my CoL inquiry for this year - first of all, I need to consider the WHY. Why would I be doing this? How would I measure change? What would be the criteria of success? Would this be a collaborative inquiry along with the other teachers involved? What would this look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment