Tuesday 22 November 2022

Thinking ahead to my possible inquiry for 2023

Below are some thoughts about where my inquiry may go next year.

What achievement challenge are you considering as an area of focus in 2023 and why? Include in your WHY both evidence and your own passion/expertise

Improve the achievement of students with additional needs in the learning areas of English/key competency using language symbols and texts


I am in a unique role where I get to see children from right across the school. I want to put more energy into creating some progressions and variations to the Creative Space programme to account for children with additional needs so they can all achieve in some way.


This is something which I have observed by giving variation in tasks throughout the year, however what do I do when there is a child who refuses to take part?


  • Survey to find out why they aren’t taking part.

  • Ask what they want to be doing?

  • What could I do to help them achieve?

  • What would an engaging task look like for them?


What learnings from the 2017 - 2022 CoL teacher inquiries have informed or inspired your thinking.


This year there were many CoL inquiries into engagement and enjoyment: Robyn Anderson and Kelsey Parrant looked at this for reading. Christine Tupou-Fonua looked into student and teacher wellbeing and how that influenced achievement, enjoyment and engagement.


I want the children to come to my space and feel that excitement, enjoyment and as a result, achievement - but how do I achieve this for the children who find it more difficult to focus?


How would your work support Manaiakalani pedagogy and kaupapa?


Learn-Create-Share

Transferrable Creative tasks which can also be done in the classroom - ubiquitous

Engagement of children through the create

Transferrable skills

Making strong and replicable progressions for different learning experiences where teachers can challenge children, pull back if it’s too much or look at alternatives if it’s not engaging some children.


Which elements of the extensive Manaiakalani research findings inform or challenge you as you think about this?


2017 research into the main teaching activity observed: conference, instructional, learning model, behaviour/management, q&a or roving.


Developing in Digital Worlds: 3 21st century skills in a digital environment - cognitive, interpersonal, intrapersonal. The benefits of a digital environment in teaching key comps for children. 

I could rate children on key comps at the start of the year compared to the end of the year.


How would you like to be supported in 2023 as you undertake this inquiry?


Regular release so I have guaranteed, regular time to work on my inquiry. This is really important as I don’t have the children constantly in front of me as classroom teachers do.

Collaboration between myself and classroom teachers to support the target group of children.


How would you plan to support your colleagues in your school with THEIR inquiries and/or teaching in the area you are exploring?


Creative activities which can be used in the classroom to support the children with additional needs.

Support of children in the key competencies to lead to the feeling of success for these children.


No comments:

Post a Comment