Friday 11 March 2016

Create

Today we focused on the create element of learn-create-share which is a learning experience in itself, where learners are expressing their learning in a variety of ways. We discussed what this looks like and came to the agreement that a learner's creation does not have to involve use of a digital tool. However, digitalising the creation allows the share element to evolve. We also discussed the importance of using the correct terminology with our learners to provide school-wide consistency and clear expectations for our learners.

On reflection, I have had learners create a poster describing the different sections of a narrative text, a google map showing volcanoes around the world, a quiz based on a particular text, illustrations based on descriptions in a text and an interview of a character who is knowledgeable about the text topic.

Here are examples of artefacts I have created to model the process of 'creation' during different learning experiences for my learners:
Figure 1: Narrative poster



Figure 2: Google map - Volcanoes of the World. Note: This google map just includes one pin as it was a model for teaching learners how they would create their own 'Volcanoes of the World' google map. Learners added at least 15 pins to their own maps. The description under the pin has been changed since being used as a model for my learners. This is because on reflection, I realised my example was too simple for what I would expect of my learners at years 5/6. 

Figure 3: Quiz using google forms, based on a reading text (The Pink Umbrella by Lani Young, School Journal Nov. 2014, Level 3).

My next focus is to develop the create element of the learning experience so it encourages critical thinking for my learners.

This discussion around creating led onto discussions around important aspects of web design. We focused on the importance of thoughtful web design to engage our audience whilst at the same time, ensuring everything is visible (we don't want to see 'restricted access' signs throughout a site).

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought about learners creating their own quiz on google forms? If they were scaffolded into using open as well as closed questions you would have them thinking critically about the text as well as creating. The share part would be when they share their quiz with another member of their reading group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juanita. We did this a couple of weeks ago (the photo above is a snippet of the quiz I gave to one of the groups as a model). Next time, I will definitely scaffold the learners through the process more to help them develop meaningful and critical questions for their peers. It was a good learning experience for me to see how the learners responded to it as a follow up to a text, and to know how to make it better for next time!

    Something I will change for next time: I created a model quiz about a text. I was then expecting the learners to create a quiz of their own from this same text. In future, I will create a model quiz for a previously read text, so learners do not become stuck on asking the same (or similar) questions I have already asked.

    Your comment has prompted me to reflect on what I can do better to scaffold my learners into thinking critically about texts using this particular learning experience. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete