Thursday 16 September 2021

Keeping my inquiry going during lockdown

When we went into lockdown, I was halfway through testing the children on another picture vocabulary test. The difference was, I was providing the children with the prompt cards so they could use them if they wanted them. The results were looking really positive. But then lockdown happened. This means I'll have to wait to find out how the other children did!

Whilst in lockdown, I have still been seeing classes through google meets. This has allowed me to continue my inquiry, even if it isn't to the same momentum it had while we were physically at school. Each time I meet with my year 5 & 6 extension children, we have been exploring a different photograph.  The photographs I have chosen are ones from the New York Times: :What's going on in this picture. The children are really excited each week to talk about a new photograph and the conversation is becoming richer and richer. I have been forcing myself to take a step back, not share ideas and see how the children go with conversing around the photos. The conversation prompts are being used however usually the use of these dies off after the conversation has warmed up.

I spent some time researching other provocations that I could use with the children and I found this really cool resource called 'Once upon a picture.'


What I like about this resource is that it breaks the focus up into collections depending on what your focus is: inferring, predicting, thinking, characters etc. There is also a fantastic 'Challenge Book' which you can download. 



No comments:

Post a Comment