Thursday 19 September 2019

Final week of term 3 - What's the plan going forward?

As we go into our final week of term 3, I wanted to reassess where I am at in my inquiry. 

What have I achieved so far?

  • A lot of research into what it looks like to be cybersmart.
  • Narrowing all of the research down into a focus on the connection between interpersonal skills and critical thinking.
  • Planing for a tool which can be implemented into the classroom.
  • Creating a website on which the cybersmart clips created by the children can be shared.
  • Altering my pedagogy when it comes to teaching year 5 children to be cybersmart.
  • Supporting children in the filming, editing and sharing of their cybersmart clips.
  • Collecting and documenting the data in a spreadsheet. 

What do I want to achieve in this final week of term 3?

  • Sharing of "The words we use" Cybersmart Clips (that have been filmed)
  • Time for children to comment on blog posts (to add to the data collection)
  • Work with those children who have not yet completed any cybersmart clips.

What is there still to do in term 4? What are my ongoing challenges?

This term, my focus has very much been on altering my pedagogy and implementing the cybersmart movie clips tasks. In general, the children are loving learning how to be cybersmart in this way! This is a real positive. I have had to change the groups slightly to ensure when learning groups are out, others are not disadvantaged in their learning. The children have dealt with this really well.

A challenge I have is that there are a group of children who are having difficulty with the collaborative planning stage of the process, which is causing a challenge with getting their movies filmed, let alone edited. I really need to work with these children to ensure they have success in their learning and to ensure they are learning the important skills when it comes to being cybersmart and making thoughtful decisions online. These children need to become my priority learners for next term.

I will begin term 4 by introducing a new cybersmart topic: Reflecting on our own or others work and giving and receiving feedback.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this update Hannah. This is an important piece of work for Manaiakalani and we are delighted to see what you have achieved and plan to achieve.

    In Term 4 our theme for the whole of the Manaiakalani 9cluster and Outreach schools) is Being Cybersmart in a connected world and your project is going to be invaluable for this.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete